...In The Valley of the Kvetching Magnolias!

Sunday, September 23, 2007

La Familia Castro Monsalve

I´m using my host brother´s computer right now and don´t want to hog it, so this will be brief...
But life in the Chilean household is great. It´s almost exactly how I imagined it.

The dominant force in the house is my hostmother Gloria. She´s everywhere in everyone´s business, doing a million things at once, and incredibly lively and warm. My hostfather, everyone calls him Nano, is a bit of a goofy old man (and what´s there not to love?), but also very friendly and kind. They have three children Alejandra (27), Claudio (25), and Rodrigo (20). Also, very nice, but I have a much harder time understanding them, Chilean youth speak pretty fast. Claudio had a bunch of friends over lastnight and they partied loudly until around 6 in the morning. I joined them for a bit, but was mostly in the dark when it came to the conversation. At one point in the night, I woke up to the sound of drunken Chileans singing Karaoke "I Will Survive" in heavily accented English. It was a great moment of cultural exchange.

They eat around four meals a day here, so my stomach is taking a bit of beating getting used to the new diet (and all steaks at 2 in the afternoon). But all in all things are very good, learning all sorts of new Chilean slang.

Hasta Luego,
Hope you all are well.
Daniel Hiiiiirsch (how Chilean´s call me)

No comments: