...In The Valley of the Kvetching Magnolias!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Oh Moon of Alabama

I write to you now from room 123 in a Day's Inn in Montgomery, Alabama. I'm here on a research trip with my boss Staurt and the other two history interns. We're road tripping around the Heart of Dixie synagogue-hopping and small-town library-scouring for info on the Jews. This process continues to be bizarre. We spent about an hour in the incredible 95 degree humidity writing down all the names of the Jewish section at the Live Oaks cemetery in Selma. My favorite: Stonewall Jackson Lilienthal. I'm not kidding. Then we crossed the bridge over the Alabama river that Martin Luther King once walked over in the Freedom March for Voting Rights in 1965. Tomorrow, it's all day in the state archives at the Montgomery City Library.

I won't write any more, because I have to save material for a column I'm writing for the summer Stanford Daily. I think there should be one every other Thursday. I'll post a link when they're up.

HERE IT IS, the first installment of Catfish Kvetch. Enjoy.

No comments: