...In The Valley of the Kvetching Magnolias!

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sea Worshippers, Fog and All

Huaca Pucllana is a pre Incan archeological site that sits in the center of Lima's Miraflores district. The Lima people constructed the ancient pyramid as an urban center for their seaside community. It served as both a community meeting place and sacred site, in which the Lima would sacrifice young women as gifts to thier ocean gods. The site is incredibly durable, the walls made with a many layered brick construction to withstand earthquakes and storms. Also, it's like three blocks away from my hostel, and smack dab in the middle of a completely urban area. I don't think I've ever seen anything that old in the middle of a city. Fucking rad.

Lima (or atleast, the part I'm in Miraflores) is great. It has the sort of climate San Franciscians love, with a thick ocean fog that rolls over the city around mid morning and sits there all day. Miraflores is chock full of wide tree lined avenues, city parks, touristy waterfront walkways, cloudy beaches, hip young people, ceviche, and lots of people selling alpaca (not to mention pre-Incan ruins).

I got in last night and after some drama with cabs and international banking, I checked into Inca Lodge, made friends with some Aussies (of course), went to this happening litte strip called San Ramon, ate some Aji de Pollo, drank some free Pisco Sour, went to bed woke up this morning, stopped by the Lan Peru office to change my flight to Cusco, walked around Miraflores, checked out the parks, checked out the surf, went to el Parque del Amor (complete with a huge plaster statue of people making out, and Gaudi style benchs with cheesy quotes about love), had some lunch, went to Incan Ruins, now I'm here checking email and blogging in the hostel! All in a days work por Turista Suprema (my new super hero alter ego)! I think I might try to do some laundry before heading off to Cusco tomorrow.

Hope you all are well. Let me know about your own adventures large and small.

All the best,
Turista Suprema (Danny)

No comments: